Assistant Controller (NC or CA)
We are looking for an Assistant Controller to lead various initiatives that are aimed at building and enhancing the efficiency and quality of our close processes, controls and systems to be public company ready. This position requires a highly self-motivated and flexible individual who operates well in a start-up environment and has a strong desire to streamline cross functional engagement as the company grows. This role reports to the Corporate Controller and can be based out of our Redwood City, CA or RTP, NC office.
• Lead and continuously drive an efficient month end close, including monitoring the month end close checklist, reviewing JEs and account reconciliations, and performing analytical reviews
• Lead the ERP post implementation stabilization and system administration, such as chart of account design and maintenance. Work with the accounting team to identify and
build appropriate systems and processes to facilitate timely and accurate financial information collection
• Responsible for certain key accrual areas by analyzing contracts, reviewing work performed under contract with internal business stakeholders and prepare related accruals at period end
• Support the quarterly review and annual financial statement audit preparation, helping to ensure that high-quality financial information and documentation is created and easily accessible. Also serve as the primary contact with the external auditor and manage the entire audit process.
• Draft technical accounting memos and account for complex transactions with the assistance from the external technical accounting consultant
• Support the development/revisions of accounting and finance policies covering all aspects of the business and help raise awareness of policy compliance
• Support future SOX implementation
• Mentor and develop the accounting team as the team continues to grow
• Other ad hoc projects as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance, or related field
• CPA strongly preferred. Big 4 or public accounting experience preferred.
• 8+ years of progressive experience ideally in a pharmaceutical or biotech startup environment
• 2+ years of supervisory experience
• Must possess a strong knowledge of accounting principles, including GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley
• Strong Excel skills. Experience with NetSuite preferred.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
• Ability to manage competing priorities with deadlines, without sacrificing quality
• Must demonstrate leadership and initiative in building up a process and developing a team
All interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected]